17 Mar The Benefits of Starting your Day with a Green Smoothie
Finding the energy to live a happy and healthy life is sometimes more difficult than it should be.
We all start our days with the best of intentions, telling ourselves that we’re going to head to the gym to workout, or improve our fitness by walking to the grocery store instead of using the car. However, before you can start improving your fitness levels naturally, it can help to make sure that you’re giving your body the right energy-boosting fuel.
Green smoothies are a fantastic way to enhance your muscle function and protect your body – regardless of whether you’re getting ready to exercise, or you’re recovering from a workout. They’re a fast, easy, and creative way to get more plant-based foods into your diet – especially those all-important greens, so your body can get the nutrition it craves most.
It’s all About Quality Ingredients
Of course, just as the value of your workout depends largely on the quality of the exercise you get, the value of your green smoothie depends on the quality of the ingredients available to you. Ideally, it’s best to start the day with healthy sources of vegetables that are as low in possible in empty calories and added sugars.
Organic fruits and vegetables are rich in fantastic vitamins and minerals, and can be mixed with a host of super foods like chia seeds, hemp, and kale, for a super energy-boosting kick. Leafy vegetables in particularly are perfect for those who are looking to improve their overall health and manage their weight at the same time. Not only do they reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, because they’re low in fat and high in fibre, but they also improve your immune system with magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, folic acid, and host of phytochemicals.
Some of the Benefits of Leafy Green Diet
Getting higher amounts of plant-based foods and leafy greens into your diet is more beneficial than you might think. For instance, one study showed us that an incremental intake of one daily serving of leafy green vegetables lowered participant risk of cardiovascular disease by 11%.
If that wasn’t enough:
- Thanks to their high magnesium content and low glycemic index, leafy green vegetables are great for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Zeaxanthin and Lutein found in dark green leafy vegetables are great for protecting the eyes, they defend against both age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Green veggies also contain carotenoids, flavonoids, and other powerful antioxidants that have been shown to have cancer-fighting properties.
The only problem is that people generally don’t know how to use these ingredients properly in their everyday diet or they may believe they don’t like them. After all, it can be difficult to find the recipes that you need to produce plant-rich meals every day, let along prep and cook. Smoothies, on the other hand are delicious, quick, effective, easy-to-make, and there’s dozens of potential recipes and flavors to choose from.
Starting your Day with a Green Smoothie
A green smoothie instantly gives your body the nutritional boost that it needs.
Green, leafy vegetables offer a variety of flavors from sweet to bitter, you can make them in a matter of moments at home. On top of that, they offer these wonderful benefits:
- Hydration: Unlike a typical glass of water, your average green smoothie provides your body with water, as well as a host of other nutrients that enhance hydration too! Green vegetables wake you up, and give you a solid foundation to work from for the rest of the day!
- Energy: As we mentioned above, a green smoothie offers a fantastic range of energy-boosting benefits that often far out-rank a heavy cooked breakfast first thing in a morning. This can be particularly beneficial during times when you’re feeling bloated or stressed.
- Concentration: Green smoothies help to re-hydrate your brain, while giving it the vitamins it needs to focus. In other words, these drinks can help you to feel more clear-headed so that you’re fully capable of reaching your goals.
- Reduce food cravings: When you start your day off by giving your body all of the nutrients it could possibly need, you reduce your chances of feeling urges for mid-day snacks and unhealthy foods.
- Quick and Easy: Smoothies take minutes to prepare, and they’re an excellent source of on-the-go fuel. You can even create a larger batch than you might need first thing in a morning, and drink one glass on a morning, and one on an afternoon. Greens as well as most veggies and fruits keep well in the freezer. We like to prepare the ingredients ahead of time and freeze in portion sized freezer bags.
We would love to hear about your favorite smoothie recipes in the comments.